I am not a DIY fundi…I am just an overly excited gal who likes to do-it-herself! Girl power!
So when the bug bites me to tackle a project…these are the top 10 must-have components I need to complete my project successfully:
- Prestik or Sticky-tack as the American’s call it. I use it for almost every DIY project. It’s a great way to test where to hang pictures before fixing it permanently to the wall with nails.
- A hammer. Another need to have. But be warned…if not used properly can cause great pain! I accidentally pounded my thumb about 3 weeks ago. Eina!
I always hated my big thumbs and hands when I was younger…now I realise it helps me a lot with my projects. My hands are rugged and not a week goes by without me having nicks and cuts on it.
- Pliers. I have a handful of them. I used to have a jewellery business and used all kinds of them for delicate earrings and neck-pieces.
- Thumb tacks or “drukspykers” (Afrikaans). A definite must-have for me. I use it to fix twine at the back of artworks or pictures.
- Glue gun. One of my favourites. I feel totally invincible when in hand…like a Charlie’s Angel!
- Jigsaw. Mine has seen better days but is still workable.
- Spirit level. This is a sensitive item for me. Ashley swears by it. To be honest…most of the time I don’t use it as I think I have a built-in level in my head!
- Drill. Needed for all kinds of jobs like making holes in the wall, wood or hanging curtain rails.
- Staple gun. I had one…a good one. Unfortunately someone stole it when I was working on a charity ball in 2008. Cannot wait to buy another one.
- Screwdrivers. Or if none is at hand…I grab a knife sometimes!